Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Doula in the Kitchen


Today, I had a chance to be interviewed by Keb’ Mo', a very awesome blues musician, for his web site www.kebmo.com. And guess what? The name of his show is “The Kitchen”-(do we have a theme going on here or what?!!?) So it was like “The Crone’s Kitchen in Keb' Mo’s Kitchen” FIERCE!

No, I am not in the music biz, (yet!) He wanted to interview me to learn more about what I do as a Doula and Lactation Consultant. He and his wife have a beautiful 6 month old son, and Keb' has an older son (almost 20!) as well.

Robbie experienced a natural birth in the hospital surrounded by her husband, her friend, (the OB) and her other friend (a midwife). They also had a great Postpartum doula whom they said they could not have lived without. Talk about support! Robbie and Keb' went through about 12 hours of labor and overall found their experience to be life changing, powerful and transformative.

Keb' is doing this video/web blog thing as a way to raise social consciousness and give back to the community. Disappointed with what he sees on TV he has decided to make a difference by creating his own positive, progressive programming. Check out the interview upcoming on his site. I’ll try and upload it on this site at some point, too.

ANYWAY,

That got me to thinking, about being a so-called “Doula” and what that means to me, and what I think it means to others...

I did not become a Doula because I wanted to be around birth. I mean, I learned a lot from my own birth experiences which were a c-section first and then a homebirth with my second. But, I never had the desire to be at someone else’s birth.

Helping women with breastfeeding, though, was something that came natural to me, I don’t know why. People saw that I breastfed my kids, then they wanted to do it to, so I would help them out. I held breastfeeding support group meetings at my house in Brooklyn, and was surrounded by pregnant and nursing mothers.

The Doula thing happened when folks started asking me to come to their births. I really didn’t want to go, but my friends just kept asking me. I was not interested in seeing all the bodily fluids and “stuff” that happens in birth. I was thinking, “No Way!”

Yet after attending a few births, I noticed that I was completely relaxed with the birth process and really enjoyed the type of vibrational field that birth energy created. It’s so powerful and healing, and if you open yourself to it, everyone that witnesses it can float on that gorgeous energy for sometime. Best of all, the mom gets the highest of all, especially when the birth process goes well; she begins to feel her power as a woman to its fullest extent.

That’s really how I got started in this business. I’ve had training and lots of experience now, but I have never found the need to become certified under one organization or another, as I try and blend all things and really just listen to what the woman who is going to be doing the birthing feels she needs, and I try and make that happen.

A lot of being a Doula is “holding the space” for the birthing woman, father, and (let’s not forget) the baby that’s on its way! This act of witnessing and compassion creates a pure field of love for these new souls to enter peacefully, where Mom and Dad feel relaxed and supported.
I am honored by each and every one of the families that have invited me into their lives, their hearts, and their most sanctified moments, the birth of their children. And through my spiritual work, I am beginning to understand this work as a calling and a ministry.
Going forward, I see more women in society being trained to be Doulas for each other. This is a way to build trust between women and help strengthen the bonds of love and community in ALL.
A big “Thank you” Mama Josie for thinking of me and hooking me up with your sweet friend, Keb and his beautiful wife and baby boy!

2 comments:

jillybean said...

great...now the word will continue to spread about how wonderful you are.

Blessed Nest said...

Wow again! I am going to spread the word about how amazing you are that's for sure!!